Historical Buildings and Places
Craven Hall is a stately Federal/Greek Revival home built in stages between 1790 and 1845 and serves as the headquarters of the Craven Hall Historical Society, Inc. The house is located on a ¾ acre plot at the southeast corner of Street and Newtown Roads in Warminster, PA. Craven Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Information provided by Craven Hall, Visit them at
The original portion of the Moland house was built by John Moland in the mid-1700’s. In 1761, following John Moland’s death, the house was transferred to his daughters and youngest son. Mrs. Moland continued to live in the home following her husband’s death and was residing in the home at the time of the Neshaminy Encampment when George Washington and the troops stayed on the property.
During the “13 days of August 1777” (August 10-23) meetings were held in home in what is currently referred to as the “Council of War Room”. Attendees at those meetings would have included General Washington, Marquis de Lafayette, Count Pulaski, Alexander Hamilton, and other notable individuals. Documentation is not available to indicate whether Washington stayed in the house or outside the house in his tent with the troops.
In 1789 the house was sold by the Moland Family and ownership was transferred to a number of individuals over the next 200 years. In the 1940’s an addition (which currently houses the visitor’s center and library) was constructed. During the late 1900’s the house was not maintained and as a result was condemned as unsafe. In 1989 the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1996 Warwick Township received ownership of the house and surrounding acreage.
Information provided by Moland House, Visit them at
Many people would never think to mention Pennsylvania in the list of places that paved the way for the first space flights, but those in the know might bring up Warminster in Bucks County, the home of the Johnsville Centrifuge. Maybe because of its restricted location on the former Johnsville Naval Air Development Center (NADC) property or because of its distance from anything NASA, no one would think to look in this suburban area. Here in Warminster is what remains of a once-great training facility that was instrumental in training X-15 pilots as well as the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and the first set of Space Shuttle Astronauts for their missions.
Information taken from pabook.libraries.psu.edu, visit for more information.